Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 4th

Today in class we learned about Heinz' dilemma, something that I had never before heard about.

"Heinz' wife is dying.  One special drug, discovered by a local druggist, might save her, but the druggist is selling it at an exorbitant price.  So Heinz, after failing to borrow the money he needs, pleads with the druggist to sell the drug cheaper, or let him pay later.  But, the druggist refuses.  Should Heinz steal the drug for his wife?  Why?"

It was an interesting class and I quite enjoyed the discussions.  My initial thought was that the answer depends on the type of wife he has.  I thought this was a good answer, but I didn't realize how true I found it until after class ended.  I have known some people in my life who have been part of truly terrible marriages.  I look at them and I think to myself, "what could have possibly persuaded them to get married in the first place?"  It can be quite terrifying seeing how drastically things can change for some people.  I will focus on only one couple to make my point.  The husband of this couple was an odious man.  He was treated his daughter-in-laws with disdain, only being kind to one in order to hurt the others.  When he died, his wife and children were literally free.  His wife joined clubs and began to travel the world, taking a grandchild with her on each trip.  His family no longer had to endure him.  For a person like that, the family will be less likely to go to such lengths to save them.

Later in the class, we examined Kohlbergs levels and stages of moral development.

I. Preconventional.
Our text defines this as:
   -lowest level of moral development
   -no internalization of moral values
   -moral reasoning is controlled by external rewards and punishments

Young children are found here, and this is why they're taught and trained in the ways that they are.  They can't reason and so they have to be manipulated.

a.  Punishment.
The primary goal of individuals is to avoid punishment, or other unpleasant things.
      When I was growing up, my little brother and I shared a room.  We had the same bed time, and neither of us ever wanted to go.  What we would do is smuggle crayons into our room and color, or listen to tapes until we were ready to sleep.  We were caught a few times, and I still remember the surge of fear hearing my fathers foot steps coming down the hall.  We tried our hardest to avoid punishment.

b.   Hedonism.
In this stage, an individuals intense desire for something out weighs the negative repercussions that will ensue.
      Growing up, my grandfather had a dairy farm.  My cousins and I loved to go there on Sunday afternoons after church to play.  There were tricycles that we could drive around the cow barn, and then there was the hay loft.  The farm was a dirty place, and so my grandfather had a set of children's coveralls that we would sport before heading out.  We tucked our sunday dresses into the coveralls, and booked it for the hay loft.  We discovered something truly amazing that day.  There was an area in one corner of the loft where there was a massive pile of chaff.  There also happened to be a rope hanging from a rafter in just the perfect place.  We had a pretty good idea of what the consequences would be, but it didn't hinder us in the least.  I still remember the sheer delight of swinging from the old, worn rope, landing softly in the chaff, and watching the dust plume.  We walked, quite uncomfortably, away from the barn that day feeling truly fulfilled.

II.  Conventional.
Our text defines this as:
   -Internalization of moral values is intermediate (locus of control begins to move inward)
   -Standards are still imposed by others

a.   "Nice girl/boy!"
The main motivator of individuals found in this category is the opinions of those around them.  I definitely know this feeling!
   One evening, I was spending time with my oldest brother, Josh, and his new wife.  Josh had made burgers, and they were no small burgers either.  They were massive, and wonderfully delicious.  Josh had eaten two burgers, I was stuffed full with one, and there were two left over.  They had been cooked, and so they would've been thrown out.  For starters, I don't really like to see food wasted, especially such delicious food.  Secondly, I saw an opportunity to impress my older brother.  It took me a long time, but I managed to eat another two burgers.  Needless to say, my brother was impressed.  I was not acting out of hunger, but out of a desire to please my brother.

b.   Law and Order
Individuals found in this level make decisions based on the law, and only the law.
   I'm not going to lie to you.  I don't often find myself in this category.  There is a part of me that gets a rush from breaking the rules sometimes.  I try to keep this unruly part of me under control, but sometimes I just don't want to.  I worked at a summer camp where there was a strict curfew of 11 pm.  I would wait in the pool building until I thought no one was there, and then I would try and sneak up the stairs without setting off the motion sensing lights.  I also have been known to hop golf course fences and go for a dip in a beautiful little pond.  I stopped doing this when I learned what they put into the water to make it that lovely blue.  I didn't do this because I enjoyed swimming in tiny, chemically maintained ponds, but because I enjoy breaking rules.

III. Post Conventional
Our text defines this as:
   -Highest level of moral development
   -Complete internalization of moral values
   -Moral values are not based on external standards
Individuals that are truly in this group are terribly rare.

a.   Social Contract

b.   Universal Ethical
Jesus, Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment